Monday, July 20, 2015

Greetings From Paradise

Hola! If you're reading this, then greetings from the beach. Where life is good today and it's always 5:00. Life really is better at the beach. Vacations are good for the soul. No worries, no cares, nowhere to be on a schedule, no appointments or errands, and it's okay to leave your phone tucked away in a bag or on the charger all day and never even pick it up to see if someone has called. This is my time.

I started a new book today. In a previous post I mentioned my doughnut giving friend had also gifted me with a stack of new books to read. I just started one and already am a huge fan. For all my reading enthusiasts, I strongly urge you to pick up a copy of The World's Largest Man by Harrison Scott Key. I’m only on page 15, and already hooked. The author was born in Memphis, but grew up in Mississippi, or in other words, my neck of the woods. His writing is relatable and his characters are the people I know in my own life. I think anyone who grew up in the South would probably appreciate his prose.

Writing is more fun at the beach too. Sitting here in my gauzy white cover up and sun hat, I can fancy myself as a great literary talent, creating beautiful masterpieces to be treasured forever, perhaps the next William Faulkner. Or maybe I’m just stoned and daydreaming. That’s okay too.

But let me tell you about my friend. The reason I am here. Now. At this moment.

I had texted a couple of girlfriends earlier in the year, and mentioned I wanted to take a trip this summer to Ft. Morgan, AL, with Punchinella, my Boxer and best friend for over nine years. My ex-husband and I brought her down here once, several years ago and she absolutely loved it. If you aren't familiar with Ft. Morgan, then at the expense of exposing it’s secret, thus driving more people here, and in turn losing some of the very reason it is so charming, let me tell you a bit about it. It’s a small community just West of Gulf Shores. There are no large hotels, no touristy restaurants, no raucous bars; just a small group of houses situated on a rather quiet stretch of beach. Quiet, at least compared to other beaches along the Gulf Coast. The big bonus is that the beach here is dog friendly, also a rare find in these parts. So I had decided that since Punchie is closing in on ten years old, the Golden Years in doggy Boxer world, that this would be a good year for us to make a trip down here. So I texted some friends and mentioned it, more to say, if anyone would like to join us please feel free. Lo and behold I get a message back from Tara saying that she had already rented a house here in July, taking her family and her dog, the sweetest little (er, not so little) Pit Bull puppy. He’s about a year and a half, still in full on playful pup mode. She said, “You might as well just come with us, I’ve already got us a house.” Who can say no to that? It’s only our first full day here, but her family has so graciously taken Punchie and I in and made us feel like a part of their group. Tara’s mother is with us, and so is her son and his wife, and their two children; a boy and girl, ages 9 and 7, respectively. The kids are adorable. I won them over within the first hour of getting unpacked by telling them I had brought a big bag of Laffy Taffy, with mixed flavors. They immediately asked if they could have some, and then came back with heaping handfuls after I said they could. Pretty sure we’re BFFs now. Earlier today at the beach, we were pirates and spies, except Tara who was a double agent. Figures. But that’s the kind of person she is. Not a double agent, by the way, but a beautiful and kind soul, who is happy to share her home, her family and her vacation.

So that’s where I am today. For me, vacation has just started. I have an entire week to look forward to. Nights of sleeping with no alarm clock, whether the digital kind or of the hound dog sunrise variety, days when I might enjoy both a beautiful sunrise and sunset on the same day, afternoons sipping on a Corona or Pina Colada, listening to the waves crash onto shore, and nothing on mind but relaxing and enjoying all of the moments with my dog and good company.

No comments:

Post a Comment