Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Short, Not So Sweet

Well, you want to talk about some shit? How’s this? One of my best friends for almost twenty years has just been diagnosed with ovarian cancer. And another friend of mine, my sister from another mister, has skin cancer.

Are you fucking kidding me? No, for real. What kind of horse shit is this? 

I’m sorry. But I really would like to go postal on the Big C right now ... like Bruce Lee kung fu style. 

I was at my friend’s house this weekend. As she laid on the couch, I could feel myself having anxiety, PTSD, or something like flashbacks. It was like having deja vu, except it was her in pain and misery, not me. We watched the movie “Sisters”, which by the way is like the third time I’ve seen that movie now. Still just as funny. I laughed so hard I peed a little. Then I freaked out wondering if I was having bladder issues. Because, you know, I once did; after my surgery. Most likely one of the other side effects from the radiation in my pelvic area is what they told me. I had to take medication for it. It’s better now. Thank God. But that didn’t stop me from worrying about it all weekend. 

It’s hard going through it. It’s hard watching people you love go through it. And it’s hard having been through it and knowing what your loved ones are dealing with, and still have yet to face. 

I suppose on the one hand, this is just more motivation for me to hurry up and whip this bitch for good, so that I can help take care of my friends. So that we can all grow old together and one day look back on this and laugh about the time when we all kicked cancer’s ass. 

Here’s to ALL the survivors out there. May we beat the odds and be more than a statistic! 

Live the life you love. 
Love the life you live. 


No comments:

Post a Comment