Wednesday, January 8, 2014

A Night on the Town


Well, I managed to cross off one more item on my New Year’s to do list, under the try something new category. I went to a bar – IN IUKA! Anyone reading this unfamiliar with my little town should understand this is the first time in my life this has been possible. Up until the past year, this was a dry county. Finally through much effort and hard work of some fine folks, beer and liquor sales were added to the ballot and passed by majority vote. And sweet heavens, it’s about time.
It’s so nice to see my little town growing up. Our first stop on our night out in Iuka was to the newly reopened Café Memories. If you haven’t been there yet, you must. By far the best atmosphere you will find at any restaurant in the area. Comfortable, cozy, and filled to the brim with antiques, unique finds and loads of ambiance. With good food to boot, what else could you want? The extra special touch was spotting a picture of our friends, as part of the window décor next to our table.


My friend's photo in the window 

It's all about atmosphere

After a nice dinner, we headed to our next destination. Just recently opened, The Hideaway Bar, is a nondescript metal building located just off Millcreek Road. The staff was very friendly, and the beer was cold… just how it should be. They had a band, not sure of the name, but they played some good music worth dancing to, and my friends and I were happy to oblige. Seemed to have plenty of seating, with tables and room at the bar, in addition to a decent dance area. I noticed a pool table, dartboard, and a couple of TVs, which are always bonuses in my opinion when considering somewhere to have a beer or two. The only suggestion I might have is to add more ventilation, as I could see the smell of smoke being bothersome for people on a crowded night.


Interior decorating at its finest at The Hideaway Bar

All in all, it was a fun night. But what made it special was that it was a night out in in my hometown, which until recently wasn't really possible. Finally, we are starting to have actual entertainment options that don’t involve driving to neighboring states and counties. I’m proud of my little town. I hope it continues to grow and flourish, with more local businesses opening and perhaps driving more commerce and industry to the area. Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment